Santuario della Verna
It will be for its position on top of the cliff and plunged into the forest, which helps to turn the trip into a kind of inner journey, to be linked to its origins to St. Francis, the fact remains that in this place you will find a particular intimate, relaxing, stimulating contemplation. Listening to the gentle voice of silence no longer distracted by unnecessary buzz, we rediscover the authentic values that sometimes lurk in the most humble. In the face of this harsh landscape, in its wild ravines, and yet generous in dense vegetation, relaxing in the quiet that surrounds it, you reflect the qualities that have characterized the poor man of Assisi who, retired to pray in 1224, he received the stigmata from God.
In the centuries following the Mount, also known as Calvary seraphic, became not only an important spiritual, but also the guardian of countless treasures of historical and artistic significance. The various buildings arose in the Sanctuary have been enriched by valuable works of ' art.
The charm of this place has always attracted many pilgrims and visitors. For this increase were the facilities for reception and all 'accommodation, including guest rooms.
Church of St. Maria degli Angeli
Built for the will of St. Francis on the model of the Porziuncola in land Assisi, the church is divided into two parts. The oldest part is from the central gate to the altar placed on the fifteenth, one of the works executed in terracotta by Andrea della Madder preserved in this church.
Inside, in a chapel, the memories are held most dear Verna, ie relics or objects used by Saint Francis: the tablecloth, the bowl, the cup, a piece of rope, the scourge of penance in chains of iron, stick. At the center, in a bronze casket, the blood of the precious relic of St. Francis: This is a piece of linen cloth held by the holy side of the wound to protect it from rough wool habit. For large holiday is carried in procession to the Chapel of the Stigmata.
Excellent performance of the choir are also stalls from finely inlaid and terraccotte Della Robbia.
Corridor of the Stigmata
Built from 1578 to 1582, this long porch is sheltered by glass-sealed, so that even in snowy winters, the monks can continue the ancient tradition of the procession to the place where Francis received the stigmata. On the wall are set up scenes from the life of the saint of Assisi dwelling on the facts concerning the period spent at Verna.
Around half a gate with studs nail provides access to an impressive angle. On the left wall of the hermitage, in front of a splendid view on the forest, on the right a cave formed by a ruin of boulders at the bottom of a rock horizontally. On this bare stone Francis gave a little 'rest. The grid iron was added because people, believing it to be miraculous, they removed the pieces.
At the end of the corridor opens the chapel where it is located Loddo a magnificent fifteenth century wooden crucifix.
Chapel of the Stigmata
A frame red marble marks the place where Francis was "transformed everything visible in the portrait of Jesus Christ crucified," as says St. Bonaventure in the Legenda Maior. The chapel, once painted by Taddeo Gaddi and Jacopo del Casentino, contains Robbia terracotta largest ever built, measuring 5.90 x 4.20 meters.
Once outside, the iron railing, you can admire a breathtaking panorama the valley of Casentino, and while the look ranges from the hills and among "the tall columns of rock Verna" soffermatevi on small fenced anfratto that welcomed free Saint Francis thrown down from a precipice by the devil.
Born as a small hermitage, this building became a convent in time of great beginnings that has kept the language simple, free of ornaments. A rough and austere beauty has always been the one that characterizes the Franciscan architecture in line with the rule of poverty and humility imparted by its founder.
Winter hours 6.30-19.30; Summer timetable 6.30-21.30
Chapel of the Stigmata
Winter hours 8-17, 9-19 Summer Hours
Winter hours (open Saturday, Sunday only) 10-12 and 13-16
Summer hours (open daily) 10-12 and 13-16
E-mail: la.verna @ libero.it
Phone 0575 5341
Fax 0575 599320
- By train
The nearest station is to Bibbiena from there with another means to Chiusi della Verna.
- By bus
Bibbiena part from the bus to Chiusi della Verna.
- Every day celebrates the ninth time in the Basilica with a procession to the Chapel of the Stigmata
- Tuesday after Easter there is the Biblical Three Days
- During the months of July and August there is the Festival of
- August 15 is the anniversary of assumption of the Virgin and the feast of the Basilica
- September 17 is the Solemnity of the Sacred Stigmata
- October 4, St. Francis is celebrated